Two of our favorite students came to visit while on their winter breaks from school. Saba Munir and Kelsey Ensign came and had tortilla pie with us and shared a bit about their experiences as freshmen in college. Kelsey is studying at Hobart and Williams Smith College in New York, and Saba is studying at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (go Mocs!). It was good to see them doing so well in their new stage of life. Having students come back to visit makes us so grateful to be teachers.
Tortilla Pie Recipe:
1 can black beans
1 can mild rotel or 1 cup mild salsa
1 16 oz. ricotta cheese
6 flour tortillas
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked rice
1. Mix the ricotta cheese with the rotel/salsa and half of the cheddar cheese and set aside
2. Mix black beans with rice and half of the mozzarella and set aside
3. Layer an 8 inch pie dish with 1 tortilla.
4. Then spoon a layer of the rice/bean/cheese mixture
5. Then spoon a layer of ricotta cheese/salsa/cheddar mixture
Repeat #3-5 until dish is full
Bake at 400 degrees covered lightly with foil. Cook for about 30 min. Then take dish out, remove foil, and then use remaining cheese to top and then cook for another 10 min until cheese is melted.
Serves about 6
Watch out for nibbling while cooking!