The kiddos and I baked pink whoopie pies last night for Valentine’s Day. I saw one recipe that used red velvet cake for the pies, but I decided to go with vanilla cake mix for ours. They turned out pretty cute, but I have to say, they are sooooo sweet. Even my kids who love all things sweet and sugary thought they were a bit much. They were also really messy, but the kids didn’t mind that part.
Valentine Whoopie Pie Recipe:
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter and two eggs in electric mixer until combined.
- Spoon small amount of dough and roll into balls and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cream 1 stick of butter, cream cheese and vanilla in electric mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- When cookies have cooled, spread filling over one, then top with a similar-sized cookie.
- Optional: put a drop of red food coloring in icing to make it pink. Or just leave icing white