My Dad’s favorite pie is a creamy lemony pie with cherrie pie filling on top. I love it too, but I think we are the only ones in my family who do really like it. It is made with Eagle brand so it is rich and sweet, so much that it sort of burns your throat, but in a good way.
This year for my dad’s 68th birthday, my mom made him his favorite pie, and I made a pie that a thought everyone else would like: a chocolate pecan pie. The two of them side by side look so good!
Chocolate Pecan Chess Pie
(adapted from Southern Living recipe found in December 2012 magazine)
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
- 1 (5-oz.) can evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
- 2 large eggs $
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided $
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves and pieces
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll piecrust into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate; fold edges under, and crimp.
- Microwave butter and chocolate squares in a large microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 1 1/2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in evaporated milk, eggs, and 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Stir together granulated sugar and next 3 ingredients. Add sugar mixture to chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Bake pie at 350° for 40 minutes. Stir together pecans, next 2 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. vanilla; sprinkle over pie. Bake 10 more minutes or until set. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
Cherry Cheese Pie
1 (14 oz) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (6 oz) ready made graham cracker crumb pie crust or homemade graham cracker crust
1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
In large mixing bowl , beat cream cheese until fluffy (cream cheese needs to be softened for it to become fluffy). Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Mix in lemon juice and vanilla.
Pour into graham cracker crust and chill at least 3 hours. Spread cherries on top and chill before serving.